Wednesday, June 2, 2010 | By: Hazel

One Thing Out of My To-Do List

I know, I know. This blog was supposed to chronicle my activities on my way to midlife but most of the entries that I posted had been about my past. Forgive me. I have this inclination to be sentimental at times.

Over the weekend in my hometown, I have managed to do something which has been on my to-do list for a long time: learn to play tennis. Yes, I may not be a sports-minded person but I don't completely suck at the physical activities that I try my hand on. And I have long wanted to play tennis. It is the sport of most of my father's side of the family. He played tennis. So does 1 of his 3 brothers, all of his 3 sisters as well as his own father. In high school, I have asked him to teach me how to play it. He just told me that I was too small and the racquet will be too heavy for me. I didn't object since I really was small in frame. I didn't realize then that the racquet weigh a mere 0.75 pound. When I was in college, I asked him again but he wanted me to focus on my studies first. When I started working, I just didn't have the time. Now that I do, I asked him again and fortunately, he agreed.

So that is what we did the morning before I went back to Cebu.

Admittedly, there is still so much that I need to learn that's why I resolved to keep on practicing and playing here on weekends. I have brought two racquets back with me so that I could practice with someone. Besides, if this will become a regular habit, I will be hitting two birds with one stone. Not only do I get to cross out that item on my to-do list, I will also fulfill my resolution to keep in shape. I have tried running on weekends but, man, I find it so boring, I couldn't finish 3 rounds in one setting. Tennis is way better.

My sister, the other beginner at tennis. We made a pact that she would also practice so that we can have a tennis death match when I go back to Cagayan de Oro. She has a huge advantage since she is considerably younger ergo more flexible and she has my father to practice with. But it doesn't matter because when I get back I will pulverize her. (evil laugh)

My father, our mentor. He may be a tennis-player-not-Agassi but he was pretty good when he was in his prime. Unfortunately, he is still unaware that that era has long gone. But he is a good tennis teacher.

0 comments:

Post a Comment