Wednesday, June 9, 2010 | By: Hazel

I'm A Daysleeper

"I'm the screen, the blinding light.
I'm the screen, I work at night."



I work at night. Have been doing so for the past 6 months. To be honest, I had hesitations when I took the job. There were obvious concerns like my safety on the way to work since I will be commuting from downtown and, more importantly, my tolerance for graveyard shift since I had never worked graveyard before. These concerns were then quickly dispelled. I have been coming to work earlier than my shift thus reducing my security risk, albeit not completely. I refuse to believe that there is such a thing as 100% safe as you can get shot in broad daylight, in front of everybody. My concern over my biological clock going bonkers was a non-issue since I have been doing the same shift for 6 months without change. As for my tolerance, this also became a non-issue because I discovered that not only do I sleep well but I sleep well at any time of the day. And as long as I get 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep for the day, I can function well anytime of the said day. Of course, there are obvious disadvantages, the very glaring of which is that  everyone I know is asleep during the time that I am awake. But there are also advantages, like the stress-free work environment and the fact that it is more economical because, let's face it, everything's closed, therefore no unplanned eat outs or take outs. I eat breakfast, go to sleep then eat dinner when I wake up.

Just recently, my boss told me that he wanted me to be screening people to replace me at my post during the night because he feels that with my skills and background, I would be more useful to the company during the morning. I am flattered at other people's confidence in my abilities, a topic worthy of another blog entry. But I must say that I have mixed feelings. I am happy to finally be a morning person again and to be in the loop with everything that happens around me, instead of opening my emails at night and asking, "What the hell happened?" But I am also sad because I'm gonna miss my zen work environment and economical eating habits. Well, nothing's permanent but changes. And I should really be happy. No, wait. I am :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment