Wednesday, May 26, 2010 | By: Hazel

Random Memory # 1

Two decades ago, I walked by myself to school. My mother would give me P1 for snacks and I would use this to buy a huge steaming bowl of benignit during recess time. Take note, the operative term is huge. I swear I could drown in that bowl. But I loved it. It was the highlight of my day. During lunchtime, I would walk back home and, after an hour, walk back to school for my afternoon classes. All this walking I do under the glaring heat of the sun as even when I was still young, I refused to carry an umbrella.

Nowadays, you will never be able to find anything you can buy for P1. Last time I checked, a benignit in a puny plastic cup now costs P5. And I mean puny because it is just a little more than a shot glass.

I still refuse to carry an umbrella but, except on the beach with tons of sunscreen, I no longer brave the sun's heat after 10am. Are you kidding? I do not want to die of heatstroke. That would be a very lousy way to go. I'd rather jump out of a tall building, preferably with a huge crowd and media coverage, for maximum effect.

0 comments:

Post a Comment