Saturday, July 17, 2010 | By: Hazel

Virtues

(This was something I wrote a few months back.)

Let me state for the record that I am not an old-fashioned person. However, there is one old-fashioned notion that I cling to tenaciously and that is my belief that patience is a virtue. In this dog-eat-dog and cyber-driven society, I still believe that good things come to those who wait.

This is not an easy feat. Very few people share this sentiment and it is probably easier to remember the deadly sins than the heavenly virtues. Who wants to be a stuck-up goody-two-shoes when the evil ones get all the fun? Who wants to be labeled meticulous and accurate when everybody is looking for someone aggressive and proactive? Which is not to say that being aggressive and proactive is wrong. What I mean is, how can you sit calmly and wait when you look around you and see that everybody else is living in their dream house, driving their dream car, working on their dream job and going to their dream vacation with their dream significant other?

You look at yourself and convince yourself that your due share will come because you have worked hard and waited for so long that there is no way you couldn't deserve what you were asking for. You repeat it again and again yet you cannot shake this terrible feeling that a little part of you is saying, "Congratulations if you live to see that happen."

Oh no, to wait is not an easy feat. The uncertainty of what is to come in the future is maddening. Witnessing the rewards reaped by those I deemed undeserving is disheartening. Fortunately, just as I am not old-fashioned, I am also not jaded. So I wait, while all around me children grow up and grow old, fairy tales were told and forgotten, and corporate-ladder climbers go up and fall down. I cross my fingers and continue to wait because I believe that my time will come and when it does it's here to stay.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were right, Ting. We have so many things in common that we even finish each other's sentences. But I must admit you know exactly how to say things I want to, especially when I couldn't find the right words to say them.

P.S.
If I were a deadly sin, I'd be gluttony. Hands down.

Hazel said...

@Jan: You know, you're right. I just reread the whole thing and I have no trouble thinking that it could be you saying all these or more appropriately, I have no trouble thinking that it applies to you as well :) What can I say, bird of the same feathers are the same birds.

Hmmm... Gluttony. Why am I not surprised?

Post a Comment