Saturday, July 31, 2010 | By: Hazel

Song of the Moment: Bohemian Rhapsody



Any way the wind blows...

I have loved this song for a long time. It's so beautiful, haunting, weird and complex all at the same time. It's so... human, for lack of a better word. Recently, I stumbled across the song's video on YouTube after which I gained a new-found respect for Queen. Respect would be an understatement. I'd say obsession. I was familiar with their more popular songs and I have unconsciously liked them and knew that they were Queen songs but I have never paid attention to Queen the band. However, this week, after I started watching videos from their concerts and other songs I was not familiar with, I was completely blown away by Freddie Mercury. His charisma, his flamboyance, his stage presence, his power over his fans was incredible. I googled him and I was intrigued by his personality. Here was a guy who was so obviously talented, famous and revered but so unimpressed by his own genius, it's just unthinkable. He was so in communion with his audience when he was performing that everyone in the audience can simply think that he and Freddie were one, but he was so shy in person that he rarely gave interviews.

Now, I'm simply hooked on Freddie. It doesn't matter that he was so glaringly gay and that he had AIDS and died because of it. He was a greater deity than I am. I am now his worshiper and I am not even good enough to write about him.

Freddie, I am simply devastated that I didn't know you when you were still alive and walking on the same planet. Rest assured, your cult will remember you forever as evidenced by your Bohemian Rhapsody video which has over 42 million views on YouTube. Your hair, your eyeliner and your costume (which showed you to be a gay man with lower body fat index than I have) were horrible to look at but I still can't keep my eyes away from you. You were practically slapping me in the face with your homosexuality but I am not embarrassed to admit that I still have the hots for you. And even if you are now reduced to ashes, I am still not worthy to lick your bottomless microphone stand. Thank you for the music.

0 comments:

Post a Comment