Monday, October 18, 2010 | By: Hazel

Confessions of a Marriage-Phobic

I have a confession to make. I have a fear of marriage.

When I was a kid, I had always imagined myself being married around this age. Now that I'm at this age and marriage is still nowhere near the horizon, I've grown skeptical about the whole thing. And now, there are all these talks about getting married. Almost everyone I know is either married or planning to get hitched. It could be that I'm imagining things but I feel like there are a lot of scrambling-to-get-married going on around me. Don't get me wrong. I am geniunely happy for those of my friends who felt that the time has come for them. But it is alienating to be standing alone on the other end of the spectrum. Okay, so I am not really alone. I know a couple of other people who share my sentiments so it's the three of us high-fiving each other on the anti-marriage corner. You may also say that this is mere sour-graping on my part. And I admit, it could be.

But let's face it. Marriage is not for everybody. All we have to do is look around us to realize this. My own mother is lucky. My father may not be perfect but he belongs to a different male human species long gone and extinct. Don't even get me started about the guys of my generation. That would entail a separate blog entry altogether. All I can say is, if I'm really desperate for someone to scratch my back, I'd get a dog. At least, it can be trained not to shit all over the place.

Be that as it may, I have not completely ruled out marriage in my uhmmm... future. In the far off chance that the universe will play a cosmic joke, then I will embrace it completely. Just make sure that it is not gonna be to somebody who is going to beat the crap out of me. Because unlike some people, I am not scared to spit in the face of the sanctity that is marriage. The joke is not gonna be on me.

Deal-breaker: Marriage to Chucky

0 comments:

Post a Comment